Since the middle of the 19th century, Moroccan tea (aka Tunisian, aka Maghreb’s drink) has become an integral part of greeting guests in North African states. It all started when a trader who brought green tea from China could not reach the destination country due to military manipulation and stayed in Morocco. Today, the Maghreb drink is known all over the world and has many recipes.
The benefits and composition of Moroccan tea
Moroccan tea is one of the drinks that deserves to be multifunctional. In Morocco it is used quite often. At different times of the day, in different weather and in different places, you can have a cup of cold or hot drink with different additives. Morocco is the first country in the world in terms of the number of tea exports. Useful properties of the Moroccan drink, for which the whole world loves it:
- antioxidants (a substance that blocks the effect of a free radical)
- flavonoids (prevents cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer)
- antispasmodic (relieves muscle pain)
- helps digestion
- restores immunity
- strengthens tooth enamel
- calms and stabilizes sleep
There are several ways to prepare this drink. They differ in the ingredients contained in it. The composition and useful properties of the drink also change. Black tea is not suitable for preparation.
How to make classic Moroccan tea
Useful properties: mint relieves spasms in the heart muscle, eliminates nausea, reduces stress levels, normalizes sleep and is a choleretic agent.
- green tea (2 pinches)
- sugar (5 teaspoons per 0.5 l)
- Moroccan mint
In Morocco, only men make tea. Women do not trust this process, as brewing a drink is considered a complex tea ceremony.
- Pour boiling water into a container with dry leaves, let brew for 15 minutes.
- After that, drain the resulting liquid (the process is mandatory, it aims to remove all impurities from the leaves).
- Pour water over wet leaves, add sugar and simmer on low heat.
- When the tea has boiled and the sugar has melted, remove it from the stove and add the mint (lemon optional).
- It is permissible to use the primary liquid, as it has a high content of essential oils.
Ingredients for citrus recipes
Useful properties: all citrus fruits have a high content of vitamin C. As a result, they support immunity, make blood vessels elastic and produce collagen.
- green tea (pinch – two)
- orange peel, lemon / lime
To enrich the tea with oxygen, Moroccans slowly pour the drink into low cups.
- Rinse the peel, lime, lemon. Cut into small slices. Rinse the mint leaves.
- Pour all the ingredients into the kettle and pour boiling water over it.
- Let steep for 10 minutes.
With dried fruit
Useful substances: dried fruits contain fructose, pectin and glucose. They in turn help the digestive system, enrich the drink with calcium, phosphorus, magnesium. Give and energy boost.
- Chinese green tea (6 pinches)
- mint (6 branches)
- dried fruit / candied fruit
- cane sugar
There are types of green tea that need to be rinsed several times. Due to the high catechin content, the drink tastes very bitter.
- Put sugar, tea, mint sprigs in the kettle. Fill with boiling water and let it brew under the lid for 10 minutes.
- Pour the resulting drink into glasses and serve with dried fruit or candied fruit.
With pine nuts
Useful properties: due to the high content of melatonin helps pine nuts get rid of insomnia, is enriched with minerals, stabilizes the gastrointestinal tract, removes toxins.
After the first brewing, the resulting liquid contains many amino acids and essential oils. And the rinsing process is needed to reveal the rich taste of the tea leaves.
- Separate the mint leaves from the twigs. Crush the stems in your hands, put in a saucepan and cover with water (1 liter – 1.5). Bring to the boil, remove the stems.
- Place tea leaves and pine nuts in a teapot. Pour mint boiling water over the mixture and let it brew for 4 minutes.
- Add sugar and mint leaves, simmer under the lid for another 5 minutes.
This recipe is popular with people who do not like the bitterness of the drink. To do this, rinse the leaves 3-4 times.
This procedure allows you to preserve the rich taste and aroma of tea, without having any bitterness.
Water from the first brew must be poured into a separate kettle. Tea leaves are added there (after the next 3 infusions). This liquid is boiled and a drink is prepared according to the classic recipe.
With cinnamon and spices
Useful properties: cloves have a high content of vitamin B. It facilitates intestinal function, restores energy and eliminates bad breath. Cinnamon eliminates bacteria and fungi. It is often used for colds as a cure. Normalizes the nervous system.
- tea leaves (2.5 tbsp per 0.5 liters of boiling water)
- Pour boiling water over the tea without adding sugar.
- Grate finely chopped lemon with mint leaves. This makes the juice stand out better.
- Pour lemon with mint and cinnamon with cloves into the brewed tea. Stir, dissolve sugar.
- Add 0.5 liters of boiled water to the resulting liquid, set on fire. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes.
With star anise
Useful properties: helps eliminate coughs, restores voice, eliminates hoarseness. It adds milk to breastfeeding mothers and prevents bloating in young children.
- Chinese green tea
- star anise (2 stars)
- brown sugar
- Put all the ingredients in a kettle and pour boiling water.
- Let steep for 8-12 minutes.
The tea ceremony regulates in Moroccan
Many countries have their own tea ceremony in England, China, Japan. The Maghreb drink has more than 20 cooking options. But every brewing process must take place in a metal pot with a thick bottom, a clay pot does not work in this case. The traditional dishes are glass. In them, from the height of their own growth, men pour tea. This is done so that the drink is enriched with oxygen and has a foam of 2-3 centimeters. Spilling tea is a sign of disrespect for a guest. Drinking less than 3 cups of tea is a sign of disrespect for the owner.
Moroccan tea has been around for over 200 years and has won the hearts of millions of people. In order for this drink not to stop admiring its rich taste and retain useful properties, it is necessary to follow the traditions of preparation.